15 July 2010

this week's Roundtable (15/07)

back in the swing of things after hols in Denmark and Lammo's hols from 6music last week...

Thursday is Roundtable day. Join Lammo as he welcomes comedian Ed Byrne, from Frankie FrancisFrankie And The Heartstrings and Kurran from Kurran And The Wolfnotes into the studio to chat about some interesting new releases.

1. Interpol - 'Barricades' - this is yet another band that many friends of mine are into but I never got into...so this is judging by first impression. ok, the voice of this singer isn't so great. I do know that they recently lost a guitarist and they aren't playing in DC. right. I want to say that I heard Friendly Fires supported them years ago but where, I'm not sure.

2. Best Coast - 'Boyfriend' - this band has been touted everywhere. oh dear. why does everyone sound like this retro faff now? Local Natives, Surfer Blood, the Drums, etc... ugh...

3. Get Cape Wear Cape Fly - 'Collapsing Cities' - this is a band that I avoided purely on the perceived whimsy of their name. maybe I made a mistake. top tune - v. catchy.

4. Skunk Anansie - 'My Ugly Boy' - uhhh...kinda like the Black Crowes? 'off the boat' Frankie, what?

5. the Count and Sinden feat. Mystery Jets - 'After Dark' - sometimes I don't get these 'featuring' tracks. it doesn't sound like Mystery Jets, so I'm not sure what they were doing in this, was Blaine Harrison providing vocals? whatever it is, it has a tropicana attitude like Jack Penate's.

6. the Jim Jones Revue - 'High Horse' - the winner - I dunno, but this doesn't seem new to me. it's kind of got a Brian Setzer / Stray Cats vibe.

7. Bombay Bicycle Club's album 'Flaws' including 'Rinse Me Down' and 'Leaving Blues' - when I reviewed 'Ivy and Gold' for TGTF a while back, I was surprised by this acoustic offering b/c when you think of Bombay Bicycle you're expecting something with more teeth. nice guitars on this 'Rinse Me Down', but there are so many folkie type bands out there right now, this may get lost in the mire.

No comments:

Post a Comment