12 February 2009

Moz on Radio 2 Live last night / this week's Roundtable

I am not sure what to make of the Morrissey gig at the BBC Radio Theatre last night (available on the Rad/Mac page for the next 6 days). all the tracks seemed laboured.

I *did* highly enjoy "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?"

--

Thursday's Roundtable sees Radio 1's Bethan Elfyn join journalist Leonie Cooper in reviewing some new releases
(FYI Simon Raymonde of Bella Union Records (and ex-Cocteau Twins) was added at the last minute.)

1. Pet Shop Boys - "Love Etcetera" - dunno but this sounds old and tired to me. what do you think?

2. Peter Bjorn and John - "Nothing to Worry About" - just on principle, I should be against this b/c Kanye West is singing this band's praises. I agree with Leonie's assessment that the song sounds very Lykke Li, but Lykke Li does it better.

3. Spinnerette - "Ghetto Love" - the singer sounds like Chrissie Hynde, or maybe the vocalist for the Waitresses - neither of which are a compliment.

4. Hockey - "Too Fake" - perhaps I am jaded, but this sounds like other stuff that's out. their synth play remind me of Passion Pit, who they are touring with in England. hear this track and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

5. the winner - a tune by Maccabees - this reminds me of the new wave of shoegazing that is currently being led by White Lies.

6. Lady Sovereign - "So Human" - I am generally not a fan of rap or hip-hop but I like this one. it's got a nice melody and dancey backbeat - stolen from the Cure's "Close to Me". maybe that's why I dig it more than I should...anyhoo, you'd see me grooving to this at the disco.

7. Airborne Toxic Event (album of the week) - "Does This Mean You're Moving On?" - "so dumb, so dumb, so dumb, so dumb"...??? this does not make me optimistic about the gig of theirs I am going to next month. :/ Steve also played "Something New" which begins like a '60s song that I cannot think the title of right now...have a listen and tell me what it is, please! I have also read on the net it sounds like Jam's "A Town Called Malice." I don't agree. when I think of that song, I think of the crazy dancing scene in "Billy Elliott" when Jamie Bell is tip-tapping his way through his little town.

random tip of the day: this is of no consequence, but I am really digging Royksopp's "Happy Up Here" more than I should. this is evidenced by my brain thinking it really wants me to start doing jazz hands or rollerskate every time the song cues up on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment