29 January 2009

good luck Peter / this week's Roundtable

as described on the Roundtable page:
Thursday sees Eamon from Brakes join Glen Tilbrook in discussing some new releases on Roundtable
(FYI the comedian Danny Robins got in on the act at the last minute.)

1. Pete Doherty - "Last of the English Roses" - I want to like this. and I want to stop comparing everything he's done post-Libertines to the Libertines's 2 albums. but you won't see me jumping on a sofa Tom Cruise-style for this track anytime soon.
2. Wintersleep - "Oblivion" - snooze. can those guitars stop strumming the same thing over and over again while the lead singer repeats the song title? Mssrs. Eamon and Glen agree with me on this.
3. Royksopp - "Happy Up Here" - good groove. as per usual for electronic music, the lyrics are only a second thought.
4. Bear Hands - "What a Drag" - I can't be the only one who reads this song title and thinks of George in "A Hard Day's Night." she's a drag, a well-known drag. we turn the sound down on her and say rude things. however, I rather like this tune. the "swirling dervish" nature of the song - also found in Oasis' "Wonderwall" - is ni-ice.
5. tied for first place - La Roux - "In for the Kill" - I love this chica. is it the ginger do? maybe a little. but this - along with the previous "Quicksand" - is infectious electropop. I heard this on Lammo's Monday show, it's even better on second listen. I hope she comes here soon.
6. tied for first place - Two Door Cinema Club - "Something Good Can Work" - these boys from Bangor have put out something rather interesting. looking forward to what else they can bounce our ears with. Lammo thinks they sound like Vampire Weekend.
7. Franz Ferdinand's new album "Tonight" (out this week in the U.S. and the UK) - I dunno. I am not impressed with any of the songs except the first single, "Ulysses," and that was already a grower and not a great song straight out of the gate. I listened to this earlier in the week on demand and "Lucid Dreams" was the only other song on the album that caught my attention, b/c it was v. trippy. and seems to last forever.

random tip of the day: Chris Martin of Coldplay on Lammo's show tomorrow doing an acoustic set.

No comments:

Post a Comment