11 November 2009

jazzed for the Razz(matazz)

ok, so I decided I better back off banana stories for a while (even if Eddie Argos the Cat agreed with me that the banana stories were funny) and go back to "real" music reporting, if there is such a thing for a freelancer like myself.

further, it seems a bit skeezy to be writing about this 11 days after the actual event. but better late than never, I always say...

so I wanted to write about a dance I recently attended that rocked my world. Razzmatazz is a semi-regularly held dance night at the Black Cat on 14th Street in D.C. I'd never been prior to Halloween night. this is not because I am self-conscious about my dancing; if you have ever attended a gig with me, you can attest to the fact that I do not need dutch courage to get me to move and groove, it just happens naturally. (this is a likely explanation for why Friendly Fires, La Roux, and Dan Black, and other dance music hit the spot for me.) no, the reason why I never went by myself was I wanted mates to dance WITH instead of feeling like a fool dancing by myself. so the two Ms headed for the Cat Halloween night, dressed up clubby and not in crazy costumes. the actual dance is held in the Backstage area, which is about 1/3 of the size of the main floor of the club where headlining gigs take place. so we're talking about ~200 capacity. not big. but wow, did we have fun with some great music.

also, one of the DJs, William Alberque, asked for suggestions and I told him he had to play "Be the One" (Jack Penate) and he was unconvinced that it would go down well with the D.C. crowd. let me tell you, we proved him wrong! having met Jack 2 months ago, it was even better seeing a crowd go mental over his songs. we ended staying for 4 hours, the first 3 spent ON the stage, shaking what our mamas gave us and having the time of our lives. there are probably some somewhat embarrassing photos online that I will laugh at, should I see them...

the best three-song sequence of the night: "Be the One" (Jack Penate), "Bulletproof" (La Roux), and "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)" (Florence and the Machine).

unfortunately, the next Razz is not scheduled until 30 January, but I suppose between now and then I can learn some more dance moves from the dance god that is Ed Macfarlane in Boston (I can't believe it's only 3 weeks 2 days away until I am at the Paradise). but if you are interested in checking them out, visit them on Facebook.

FYI, I am currently on the lookout for bloggers who will be seeing the Winter NYLON tour. if you are, let me know and I'll add you to the list. this list includes ones I found by accident through Google. I'm a bit obsessive, I want to hear and see about this tour before I get to the land of the Red Sox!

Between These Lines - Austin (Mohawk), 19 Nov
Movies of Myself (Beckie) - SF (Independent), 23 Nov

No comments:

Post a Comment