04 November 2010

this week's Roundtable (04/11)

I apologise profusely for not reviewing last week's (28/10) Roundtable. I've been so snowed by my writing commitments for 4 different music sites (and basically being the only writer for TGTF) that when I was listening to the first 20 minutes, I was so turned off by what I heard I just switched it off and put on a CD. I'll try not to do to skip a review again. I know you all are just chomping at the bit to read my thoughts on a Thursday evening ;) but I may miss next week as I've got 4 gigs in 6 days and I'm a little scared TBH b/c of them, only one of them (La Roux) is a real favourite of mine, so it might be difficult to do so much writing on the others.

today's guests on Roundtable: Skin from Skunk Anansie, journalist Max Rushden and editor of Billboard Mark Sutherland

1. Frank Turner - 'I Still Believe' - not as good as some of Frank's earlier singles, like 'The Road'. TBH I'm not sure how much longer he can go on...?

2. Goldheart Assembly - 'Last Decade' - I absolutely love this band. so much better than Fleet Foxes! 'Wolves and Thieves' is a gorgeous record.

3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - 'Conscience Killer' - good kick in the arse type of song. nice.

4. Gruff Rhys - 'Shark Ridden Waters' - tied for winning track - too many lyrics. it's just a stream of lyrics. thumbs down.

5. Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith - 'Not in Love' - tied for winning track - it's actually listenable, compared to most CC tracks.

6. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - 'Round and Round' - lyrically, it's got a Cure (how ironic) / Beach House vibe. it's ok.

7. Bryan Ferry's new album 'Olympia' (I reviewed it for TGTF here) - one of my favourite singers. pretty good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment