26 March 2009

I'm published! / this week's Roundtable

one small step towards becoming a music journo...maybe? have a read of my Morrissey review from 14 March (Warner Theatre) here (on Popwreckoning). I may post more thoughts and pics related to my gig experience later, I just figured you'd want to read what was in the blogosphere before I update again here.

FYI "Something is Squeezing My Skull" has been added this week to the 6music playlist.

--

RoundTable returns for another week, with musician Chas Jankel, journalist Leonie Cooper, and this week's Rebel Playlist winner, Patrick Wolf.

1. Maximo Park - "The Kids Are Sick Again" - Patrick Wolf thought it sounded like a jingle and had a personal grudge against them - lol. I agree with the consensus that this tune isn't great. The problem? It's forgettable.

2. Empire of the Sun - "We Are the People" - this doesn't grab me as much as the previous "Walking on a Dream." maybe b/c then, they were fresh (to me)?

3. Polly Scattergood - I missed the title. probably b/c I agreed with Leonie's assessment of "too twee."

4. Fan Following (?) - "Drowning Man" - first thought? the Duran Duran song. the instrumentation's great, but I didn't get the lyrics b/c of it.

5. Morrissey - "Something is Squeezing My Skull" - y'know, I didn't like this v. much the first time I heard it. now that I've seen it live (literally) and on a couple tv appearances, I can say it's a grower. I don't particularly care for the lyrics...but hey, it's Morrissey :) and yay, I love Patrick for what he said about Steven.

6. In Case of Fire - "Enemies" - yikes. this reminds of why I don't listen to bad "American indie" - thrashing guitars with vocals you can barely make out. oh dear, oh dear. not a fan.

7. the winner - new album from Gomez - I dunno why everyone's gone gaga over this. have I lost the plot???

No comments:

Post a Comment