29 October 2009

this week's Roundtable (29/10)

This week sees Luke Haines and Gideon Coe on Roundtable (not sure where Holly Johnson of Frankie Goes to Hollywood went) and Tom Ravenscroft (John Peel's son) who's never been on Roundtable before, and included a discussion of side projects

1. Them Crooked Vultures - "New Fang" - I rather like this. harder edge. sure better than that "Wheels" piffle Foo Fighters is trying to peddle.

2. Fyfe Dangerfield - "When You Walk in the Room" - plinky plonky music. not grabbing me. apparently it's a solo effort?

3. Chew Lips - "Slick" - synthtastic. like it. free track. looking forward to their debut album coming out early next year.

4. Richard Hawley - the winner - "Open Up Your Door" - Richard can do no wrong in my book, he always manages a lovely lilting song. he's high up on my "you slay me" list.

5. Field Music - "Measure" - it starts promising, v. bluesy. then it turns into something CCR/Eagles-ish that I don't really like...rather schizophrenic as Tom said.

6. Ellie Goulding - "Under the Sheets" - I heard this the other day on Radio1. not impressed.

7. Brett Anderson (ex-Suede)'s latest solo album "Slow Attack" including "The Swans" and "Julian's Eyes" - the nasal delivery of "The Hunted" did not move me when he was interviewed yesterday by Richard Bacon (pinch hitting for Cerys Matthews, who has been sitting in for Nemone while she's been on maternity leave). it's too dreary.

No comments:

Post a Comment