18 February 2010

this week's Roundtable (18/02)

Lammo welcomes Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin' Criminals), Holly Walsh and Olly from Turin Brakes into the studio.

1. the Futureheads - Heartbeat Song' - this actually reminds me of that Kaiser Chiefs's song about having crisps for tea...what is it called again? LOL. but sweeter.

2. Jeff the Brotherhood - 'U Got the Look' - like the drumming at the start. dunno, sounds very Soft Pack to me. (Lammo said the band contains a member of Be Your Own Pet.)

3. Wild Beasts - 'We Still Got the Taste of Dancin' On Our Tongues' - the winner - I still think the whole falsetto thing is odd. BUT I trust Niall Doherty's (of the FLY) judgment that their gig was one of the best of 2009. this explains why I put in to see them on the 27th.

4. Yeasayer - 'O.N.E.' - dunno, all of Yeasayer's stuff reminds me of Disney's 'Tarzan'...it's ok and I know some people just love them, their show at the 9:30 here is sold out (same night as Vampire Weekend, so a feat a bat an eye at!)

ROFL @ Olly that he thinks it sounds like Friendly Fires, Jack Penate. not really...?

5. Audio Bullies - 'Only Man' - I think it's FFires' fault, but now I listen to songs and it's all about the beats. that said, the percussion in this great, the groove is sick. but the lyrics? not so much.

6. Peggy Sue - 'Watchman' - I am extremely difficult to win over when it comes to women's voices. meh.

7. the Courteeners's 'Falcon' - that 'You Overdid It Doll' song is now planted in my brain, it won't leave! it was defo a grower, as I imagine the rest of this album would be for me.

have to say, this ballad (name unknown, sorry!) kicks the arse of anything Glasvegas ever did :)

hmmm, this other song they're playing reminds me quite a lot of White Lies. where did they, really? I find it REALLY hard to believe that it's been nearly a year since I saw them and FFires for the first time. time really flies. and things change. and so have I.

No comments:

Post a Comment