11 February 2010

this week's Roundtable (11/02)

Thursday's Roundtable see Richard Russell from XL Recordings and our very own Chris Hawkins join Jean-Jacques Burnel from the Stranglers.

1. Jimi Hendrix - 'Bleeding Heart' - the winner - I've never really understood the devotion to Hendrix. he didn't have a good voice, he was an ok guitar player. I'll stop there before anyone starts a campaign to punch me in the face for such blasphemy.

2. Laura Marling - 'Devil's Spoke' - it takes a lot for a woman's voice to make its way into my heart, I'm very critical when it comes to female singers. not really a fan of this. too dark for me.

3. Friendly Fires - 'Hold On' (Holy Ghost cover) - I practically went into cardiac arrest when I heard on Zane Lowe's show last week. (it's been far too long waiting for something new from FFires - the last being July when 'Kiss of Life' premiered.) am preferring this one over HG's original. wicked beats. and v. sexy vocals Ed Mac. good one boys.

hilarious that Richard is trying his best to get people to vote for them in British Breakthrough Act b/c Hannah, his compatriot at XL, told him he better promote them like heck.

4. Rox - 'My Baby Left Me' - hmm. this is v. Noisettes-y. interesting that throwback sound is coming back in a big way.

5. Jamie T - 'Emily's Heart' - I love it! liking it more than his earlier, more rappier stuff.

6. Johnny Cash - 'For the Good Times' - version of Kris Kristofferson song. hmmm. not his greatest.

7. Lightspeed Champion's album 'Life is Good! Nice to Meet You' including 'I Don't Want to Wake Up Alone' and 'Madame Van Damme' - I really like Dev Hynes's latest offering. there's this coyness that reminds me of Morrissey being coy, and the Beatles being coy. agree? teehee...

No comments:

Post a Comment