17 June 2010

this week's Roundtable (17/06)

Join Lammo as he welcomes Scott from Scottish rockers Frightened Rabbit, David Quantick and Bella Union boss Simon Raymonde into the studio to chat about some interesting new releases.

1. The United Nations of Sound - dunno the name - zzzzz. I've never been a massive fan of Richard Ashcroft, even when the Verve were at their peak.

2. Zola Jesus - 'Night' - I'm not a fan of Bat for Lashes-y female atmospheric pop (and Scott agreed with me - win!). for a woman's voice to work for me, the melody is key (which is why Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac and Romy Madley-Croft / the xx are great in my book). this just sounds like swirling dervish ughness.

3. the Arcade Fire - 'We Used to Wait' - this band is one of those that I have friends who are absolute foaming at the mouth fanatic types. I still don't get it. it's all right but not earth-shattering.

4. Dangermouse / Sparklehouse - 'Little Girl' - the winner - this is interesting having heard the James Mercer (the Shins, Broken Bells with Dangermouse) collab live last week, I have high hopes for 'Dark Night of the Soul'.

5. M.I.A. - xxxo - I like the vibe on this. too bad that she's getting the reputation for being a bad ass after giving away a Times' reporter's mobile number after 'being misquoted'.

6. Fanfarlo - 'Fire Escape' - ohhhhh Fanfarlo!!! (sorry while I have a fangirl moment.) this is a band I've saw live without any idea of how they were in performance and they blew me away. I want them to do well. I might start crying in a moment...

7. Kele Okereke's debut album 'The Boxer' including tracks like 'Walk Tall' - I think 'Tenderoni' is still the best track. I really need to hear the whole album to make a better judgment tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment