16 April 2009

this week's Roundtable (16/04)

Roundtable returns for another week, with The Observer Music Monthly's Caspar Llewellyn Smith, comedian Danny Robins and Matt from the Rakes


apologies for not blogging on last week's Roundtable. I listened in but my brain was going in 20 different directions and I thought I'd have time over the weekend to relisten and post but alas, it was not meant to be...


1. Green Day - "Know Your Enemy" - I miss the days of "Basketcase" and "Time of Your Life (Good Riddance).


2. Phoenix - "Listomania" - I think their album title will get more attention than this single. just saying.


3. Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks" - I almost laughed out loud when I heard the bangy piano chords at the beginning of this, especially since I recently picked up Keane's first album, "Hopes and Fears" (and hated it, sorry). the difference between this and Keane is the piano is really annoying in "Two Weeks." it reminds me of the piano effects in most hip hop songs - overpowering the vocals. "classic blogosphere band"? you decide.


4. Dead Mouse - "I Remember" - not feeling this right now, but as suggested by Lammo, it sounds like a summer dance record.


5. Bob Dylan - sorry I missed the title, but I guess it doesn't matter cos - the waltzing rhythms don't work well with Bob's voice. and I've always had a problem with Bob's voice. there I've said it! ::ducks:: one of the punters in the studio said he is trying to sound like Tom Waits, and I concur.


6. the winner - Marmaduke Duke - "Rubber Lover" - interesting. it is poppy to me yet it is dark to Steve's board.


7. Depeche Mode's new album "Sounds of the Universe" - "Wrong," "Fragile Attention," "Perfect, " and "Peace" - I've seen the video for "Wrong" - it was disturbing. I'll be the first to admit I haven't been paying much attention to DM for the last couple of albums, although I did like the singles of "Exciter." about "Perfect" - it is sometimes unnerving and scary that Dave Gahan can really make himself sound like an unfeeling goth robot. I realise this is the sound they are trying to achieve, but it's not really for me. I mean, I like a bit more pop and zip to my music. ask me again in a month, I might have changed my mind! "Peace" sounds more DM in my mind, but you may think different. have a go...

No comments:

Post a Comment