25 April 2009

this week's Roundtable (23/04)

Thursday sees Tom from Gomez, Huw Stevens of Radio 1, May Kay from Fight Like Apes in the studio for Roundtable

1. Kasabian - "Fire" - this sounds a lot different than the previous single, "Vlad the Impaler" (which totally did not impress me!). heh, things build up and I'm liking this better. "Oriental Doobie Brothers"? lol

2. Basement Jaxx - "Raindrops" - boys, it's been too long! perhaps it's because of your dancey XL label brethren (like Friendly Fires), but you need to be back on the dancefloor. ASAP. I don't see the early '80s Macca comparison...do you?

3. the winner -
Sonic Youth - "Sacred Trickster" - don't like the vocal. I was never a Sonic Youth fan, so I don't know if that would have helped in the enjoyment of this track.

4.
The Joy Formidable - "Whirring" - ooh yeah, I like this!

5.
Placebo - "For What It's Worth" - the title sounds like a Buffalo Springfield tune, doesn't it? the groove is great, but the voice is so Gary Numan-robotic. the Atari-style electronic beeping is interesting. Mary Kay wants to blow his nose and doesn't like his voice either!

6.
Kap Bambino - "Dead Lazers" - hahahaha ok this is TOO electro bouncy and dancey for me. I need to be able to at least hear the lyrics. this is like you're bouncing off the walls and you can't stop. "squawking girly thing" - exactly!

7.
the Maccabees - "Can You Give It" and "Seventeen Hands" in full plus others - this band enjoys popularity in the UK that I don't really understand. maybe with more listens, these will be growers. not yet tho.

**I nearly missed who won b/c Lammo was so nonchalant about the announcement. you would have missed it too I bet if you were trying to book travel between Nottingham and Oxford without having to sell your first born!

No comments:

Post a Comment