13 January 2010

last week's Roundtable (07/01)

note: I did this Monday night and am now finally getting it in here.

Thursday is Roundtable day. Join Lammo as he welcomes Q Magazine Editor Paul Rees, Mark Sutherland from Billboard Magazine and Krissi Murrison from the NME into the studio to discuss some new music for 2010.

1. the Courteeners – ‘You Overdid It Doll’ – the winner – one of Mozzer’s fave bands of the moment. Ugh, not a fan of the singer’s voice. am I missing something here?

2. Carolina Chocolate Drops – ‘Hit Em Up Style’. Cover of Blu Cantrell song. I agree with Krissi, the singer’s voice is incredible but this is a one hell of a weird mishmash, not to mention the singer’s voice is grating. ick.

3. Los Campesinos! – ‘Romance is Boring’ – ow, my ears…no thanks. goodness, I’m glad I wasn’t given this to review in January.

4. Chapel Club – “Oh Maybe I” – Lammo said this band has been on some 2010 watch lists but not on the BBC’s. hmmm, similar to Morrissey? Certainly doesn’t sound like him. dunno, not really grabbing me…

5. Frightened Rabbit – ‘Nothing Like You’ – I liked this. wow, something I finally like on this programme! not much of a surprise, considering they’re a Fat Cat Records acquisition.

6. Corinne Bailey Rae – ‘I’d Do It All Again’ – it’s so sad about her husband, but ironically, I think that might give new life to this single and the resulting album ‘The Sea’. Not as cutesy fun as ‘Put Your Records On’ but nevertheless considering what she’s been through in making this record, I hope it does well.

7. Tracks from Vampire Weekend’s new album ‘Contra’ including ‘White Sky’ and ‘Giving Up the Gun’ – I’m actually liking ‘White Sky” more now than first listen, when Ezra Koenig’s yodeling lyrics were getting on my nerves. CANNOT WAIT to see them 3 April!

No comments:

Post a Comment