28 January 2010

this week's Roundtable (28/01)

The week sees Eddie Argos (Art Brut), Josie Long and Lightspeed Champion (Dev Hynes) join Thursday's Roundtable.

1. Goldfrapp - 'Rocket' - back when Goldfrapp started, they were really unique. but this sounds so '80s unimaginative synthpop. like bad Jefferson Starship. the "oh oh ohhhhs" are annoying as hell too.

2. Pin Me Down - 'Time Crisis' - side project of Russell from Bloc Party. I've been wondering where BC went. hmm. it's all right but it kind of sounds like Ke$ha's 'Tik Tok' crossed with Cascada's 'Evacuate the Dancefloor'? sok. I usually have a big problem with women singing lead on dance tracks. b/c in order for such a song to be good dancefloor filler to me, there have to be sexy voices on the track. and sorry, girls singing don't do a thing for me.

3. Detroit Social Club - 'Kiss the Sun' - they're from Newcastle. no idea what the Detroit connection is about...?

4. Late of the Pier - 'Best of the Class' - I was wondering when these electronic chaps would be back with a new record. I never would have known about them and 'Fantasy Black Channel' if it hadn't been for a bloke that I used to fancy ::grin:: given the choice, I'd take LotP over MGMT any day, based on the sincerity/love for the '80s it has.

5. Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip - 'Get Better' - the winner - funny they had Eddie Argos in for this single b/c the delivery is just like Eddie's for Art Brut.

6. Egyptian Hip Hop - 'Wild Human Child' - why is everything tonight sounding like it was recorded in the '80s??? this was a band voted for 10 for 2010 though, this is the first I've heard of them. oh god, the lead singer's voice...it's cloying and not in a good way. I guess that's the way he sings...? Oingo Boingo indeed Dev.

7. Hot Chip's new album 'One Life Stand' including 'We Have Love' and 'Brothers' - Lammo loves this album and while I liked it when I reviewed it earlier this month for TGTF, I didn't think it was 100% great. 'We Have Love' is defo one of the lesser dance tracks on the record, with 'Hand Me Down Your Love', 'Thieves in the Night', and the title track far better.

however, I hopefully will get a chance to see the tracks performed live in April at a sold-out show here in D.C. and maybe this will change my opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment