05 January 2012

this week's Roundtable (5/1)

guests tonight are Leonie Cooper, Tom Williams (of the Boat) and Eugene Butcher (it's not on the Web site so I've no idea ;)

1. Air - 'Seven Stars' - I accidentally thought this was David Bowie, with all the Bowie coverage this week (his 65th birthday's Sunday), it was that weird. and I didn't like it. funny Leonie said it sounded like Beach House, b/c I can't stand Beach House...

2. Devin - 'You're Mine' - Roundtable winner - I like this punky sound, very Ramones/Libertines-esque. sounds more New Joisie than Brooklyn. it's just one bloke?!?

3. the xx - 'Open Eyes' demo - I like this even more minimalistic yet more lovey sound from the xx. read more here.

4. 'allo Darlin' - 'Capricornia' - second place - I am loving this. so what if they're twee?!?

5. Radiohead - 'Staircase' - I don't like Radiohead. and again, I'm left wondering, "what am I missing that everyone else is hearing?" I find this bland, boring and not worth another listen.

6. the Skints - 'Ratatatat' - third place - oh god, what is this? like r&b but with a creepy, Halloween-type vibe. is that intentional? then there's a woman singing fast like Janelle Monae and a random bloke shouting like Flava Flav. no thanks.

7. the Maccabees' new (third) album 'Give into the Wild' - I've never been a huge fan of the Maccabees, and these teaser clips tell me why. yes, they've got the "infectious" sound down pat but will I remember the songs tomorrow? probably not. and 'Pelican' has to be one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard (single review here, halfway decent but nonsensical video here).

No comments:

Post a Comment