18 December 2009

this week's Roundtable (part 2 of 2 of 2009 review)

a day late due to pesky office potluck. apologies.

Roundtable saw (Radio 1 BBC Introducing host) Huw Stephens, Milo Cordell from the Big Pink and our very own (6music breakfast show presenter) Shaun Keaveny

1. Phoenix - "1901" - I like this. I'm disappointed I didn't see these frogs when they came to D.C. (the show was sold out).

sidenote: Mssr. Cordell has a sexy voice, I wish he would use it onstage. just saying. (fangirl speaking, haha)

2. Arctic Monkeys - "Crying Lightning" - I didn't like the song at first (never been much of an Alex Turner girl) but it's grown on me. it's defo memorable, with mentions of ice cream men and Pick 'n' Mix.

3. Speech Debelle - "Spinnin'" - my, how the mighty have fallen. when she won the Mercury Prize in September, the music world collectively gasped in surprise. at the time, I was happy that Florence and the Machine didn't win, after being the odd-on favourite for weeks.

everyone gasped again when she ditched her label last month, claiming they weren't supporting her and her vision. not sure where she's going for now. right now I think she's just spinnin' her wheels. (::rimshot::)

nd yes Huw, I agree with you, Friendly Fires should have won the Mercury Prize. ::grin::

4. the Drums - "Let's Go Surfing" - now tipped as a BBC Sound of 2010, funnily enough Huw is saying he prefers Frankie and the Heartstrings. (he'd seen both bands, with Frankie opening.) hmmm...! and further, Milo didn't enjoy it, so Lammo is predicting fisticuffs on the NME Shockwaves Award Tour in 2010. oof!

I've heard the Drums purportedly dumped their original handlers once they hit it big in the UK. doesn't sound v. kosher in my book...I haven't heard both sides of the story, but it's upsetting to hear things like that - if it's true of course.

5. Editors - "Papillon" - this song made me study the band from Brum closer. and added "it kicks like a sleep twitch!" to my list of favourite phrases. not sure if that's what Tom Smith had in mind...

6. Mos Def - oops, missed the title as I was drumming to it with my fingers on the desk - FYI any drumming on my part means it's good!

7. Florence and the Machine - the winner (::groan::)- "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)" - it's ok, but the fist pumping action going on at discos when the song goes into the chorus is pure wickedness. I just wish she'd stop screaming.

8. the Big Pink - "Velvet" - LUSH.

No comments:

Post a Comment