03 September 2009

this week's Roundtable (03/09)

Tjinder Singh from Cornershop ("Brimful of Asha"!) joins Bella Union label's Simon Raymonde + journo Leonie Cooper

1. Weezer - "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" - Weezer is one of those bands I never got into, though apparently hordes of American teens like them. I don't if their fanbase aged with them or not b/c I don't think any of my friends still listen to them, but they always try to go for the fresh, teeny sound. that said - not my bag at all. they co-headlined the Virgin Free Fest at Merriweather last weekend - was I there? no. but I can see how some people like their sound.

2. Echo and the Bunnymen - "I Think I Need It Too" - I can't be the only one who is weirded out by all these "old" rock stars coming back into the fold. (er...Ian Brown's "Stellify"???) this falls into the "ooh what's that? oh...weird" category. nothing wrong with it, just not terribly inspiring. someone in the chatroom said it sounded like Neil Diamond. that's a terrible insult to Neil!

3. Lisa Hannigan - oops, missed the title... - Irish country/folk 2009 Merc nominee. this feels like well trod-on folky ground. am I missing something? if she wins the Mercury gong, it'll be one terrible upset indeed!

4. AFI - "Medicate" - hahaha Simon asked if they were American. is that enough for a Englishman to hate a band?

5. Wild Beasts - "All the King's Men" - man, that's an annoying as hell voice. wiggy wiggy fake falsetto. I don't mind male falsetto, it just has to be done properly.

6. oh shoot, my computer did one of those "Microsoft Explorer now needs to close" stupid actions so I missed this.

the winner - 7. the Cribs' new Ignore the Ignorant album including "We Share the Same Skies" and "Victim of Mass Production" - I dunno if I'm alone in this, but as a girl, when I listen to a guy singing, I want that voice to be enjoyable to my ears, not harsh and jarring. that Jarman voice is just jarring to me. I got used to "Cheat on Me", but when I first heard it I *hated* it. I will own up that Johnny Marr's involvement with the band got me interested them.

No comments:

Post a Comment