24 September 2009

this week's Roundtable (24/09)

Thursday's Roundtable sees XL Record[ing]s Richard Russell join Andrew Weatherall and Liela Moss from The Duke Spirit to discuss some new releases

1. Foo Fighters - "Wheels" - from that "other" FF named band. is it just me, or is this a snooze? is Dave Grohl saving all his vitriol for Them Crooked Vultures? (I may be a bit spiteful, as their PR refused to give us a press pass to cover their D.C. gig in October but...)

2. Thom Yorke - "the Hollow Earth" - was never a fan of Radiohead specifically b/c I did not care for Thom Yorke's voice. the noise in the background sounds weird for his voice. the best part of the song? when Yorke stops singing. ::rimshot::

3. Jay-Z - "Empire State of Mind" - guess this is a song about NYC. ugh. I think one of the few records of Jay-Z's that I actually enjoyed was "Hard Knock Life". and HOW many years ago was that? this just feels like unoriginal...well, based on the votes, this one is gonna take it I bet...

4. Little Comets - "Adultery" - the title alone is going to cause problems. the song itself is not offensive, but it's not memorable either.

5. Death Cab for Cutie - missed it, sorry, I was so bored by it! - they are really big in America. I am not really sure why. LOL at the panel's opinions. is the band really named after a Captain Beefheart record? hahaa

6. Julian Casablancas - "11th Dimension" - this track has been blowing up across the blogosphere, if the stats from Hype Machine can be believed. hmm. sounds interesting. sounds like it might be a grower. it's not jumping out at me right now but I think I might learn to like it a lot. it's got that '80s poppy sensibility in the background.

7. Dizzee Rascal's new album - the winner - oh dear. ugh. I dunno why everyone loves this sort of sound. gimme a break. there isn't even a good beat to it! sometimes I have to wonder why I don't "get" some music like everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment