06 August 2009

this week's Roundtable (06/08)

the theme from "Rocky" welcomed the journo heavyweights on this week's roundtable...Andrew Harrison and Mark Sutherland (former EIC of Melody Maker and now London bureau chief of Billboard) - funnily enough both acted as editors for Lammo at one time or another ! - and Keith Cameron, who is a journo too but I've never heard of.

1. Muse - "The Uprising" - I'm having a real problem with Muse's new stuff. I was never a big fan of theirs - and just imagine my surprise seeing their "Supermassive Black Hole" video as a throwback on MTV2 earlier this week. this song is better than the Indian/Queen rip-off of United States of Eurasia. Cameron says Muse is the new a-ha. discuss!

2. Speech Debelle - "Spinnin'" - not my speed but they seemed to like it.

3. Radiohead - "Harry Patch" - so if you haven't heard, Thom Yorke and co. worked on this single (and I believe an album?) to dedicate to the memory of the late last surviving British man to have served in WWI. I know I will get caned for this but I never understood why everyone went completely mental for Radiohead years ago - I'm not a fan of Thom's voice, and I don't think their songs are all that great. but I have to say that it's v. touching that they're donating all proceeds to the sales of this single to a charity.

4. Duck Sauce - "Anyway" - the band name alone is really humourous.

5. Yo La Tengo - LMAO this sounds just like the Pains of Being Pure at Heart. ?!?!?

6. Maps - I Dream of Crystals - I like this. I think I will go see them in October. yes.

7. Simian Mobile Disco's album including "Bad Blood" - my friend Phil said he likes their new album. I wasn't sure until I tuned in today. these tracks sound great. hey guess what? dance music is sexy again!

in the process of cleaning my office, I missed who won, but I imagine it was Radiohead.

No comments:

Post a Comment