27 August 2009

this week's Roundtable (27/08)

Thursday's Roundtable sees Magazine's Dave Formula and friend of the show Andrew Collins (who worked on NME and Q with Lammo and Stuart Maconie) + I don't know how to spell his name, but the bloke who sings for Golden Silvers...Gwi...something...don't ask me to spell it! oh wait...Gwilym Gold...(thanks Wikipedia)

1. Editors - "Papillon" - I had a discussion about this with a Editors fanatic friend of mine, of the small odds that her Editors would have a song called "Papillon" just like the Airborne Toxic Event. I don't like this one as much as TATE's, but I appreciate and dig the synths wholeheartedly!

2. Bad Lieutenant - "Sink or Swim" - the guitars are v. '60s. v. Byrds-esque, no? it's not great, but it's not bad either. it just doesn't fit right in the times, that's all. this is the band that is New Order minus Peter Hook. dunno. I'm not a New Order aficionado so I can't really tell if this really sounds like New Order minus mad hooks from...well...Hooky.

3. missed the artiste, oops - "Which Way to Go" - sorry, I got interrupted when this played.

4. Massive Attack - "Splitting the Atom" - mad groove.

5. Ash - "True Love 1980" - I love it a lot. it's so '80s bouncy. it's kinda like Pet Shop Boys. bring it back baby!

6. Cery Matthews (aka Nemone's sub on 6music while she is on maternity leave) - "Arlington Way" - it is defo the age of the throwback sounding record. this sounds like what Duffy was trying to do. am I right? hmmm...I have to say, Cerys's voice isn't as annoying when she's singing than when she's trying to present for 6music...but now that I listen to it more, man, it's cloyingly annoying, like an old, insipid Shirley Bassey record (remember "Goldfinger"?). sorry Shirley.

7. the winner - Arctic Monkeys' "Humbug" album - it's kind of disappointing that I only like "Crying Lightning", and that had to grow on me before I started liking it. I've never been a big fan of Alex Turner's voice, nor the sound of the Monkeys. (and I know this will get me in trouble with a Yorkshire mate!)

No comments:

Post a Comment