20 August 2009

this week's Roundtable (20/08)

Thursday's Roundtable sees Frank Turner and Huey Morgan (Fun Loving Criminals, current 6music presenter) discuss some new releases, plus Chris Roberts (Lammo's fave journo ever)

1. the winner - Idlewild - "Readers and Writers" - I have a friend who a big fan of this band. it's not pressing any of my buttons in a good way.

2. Strange Boys - 'Woe is You and Me" - they have a rawness I can appreciate. Lammo loves them - they're on his penultimate In New Music We Trust programme next Monday night.

3. Deadmaus5 - "Ghosts and Stuff" - it's ok. it should move me more b/c it's a dance record, but for some reason I'm finding it hard to stay awake today. maybe the spectre of last Thursday in NYC hanging over me? ::major yawn::

4. Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions - "Blanchard" - uh, what is this? is new age-y stuff now in vogue thanks to Bat for Lashes??? crikey I need something to wake me up, not this drivel.

5. Alice in Chains - "Check My Brain" - AIC will never really be AIC without the late Layne Staley (remember "Man in the Box"?). but this isn't a bad effort.

6. the Drums - "Let's Go Surfing" - the whistling might grate on you, but the guitars actually sound Beach Boys-y. watch this turn into a tv advert tune soon. I'd bet on it! ahahahaha they got signed to Moshi Moshi. isn't that where Friendly Fires got signed after they started with People in the Sky? LOL

7. the new Mariachi El Bronx album - I have to admit this band's sound has grown on me. I didn't think they were being serious about the mariachi sound - and I remember what Patrick Wolf said on a recent Roundtable about wanting to be turned into a Latino woman, lol. anyhoo, I like this sound a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment